A multi-award winning facility, the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC) has earned a solid reputation as North America’s leading Convention Centre, and has held over 18,000 events and hosted over 55 million guests since opening for business in October 1984. Covering over 2 million square feet, the MTCC is Canada’s largest convention facility, boasting seven exhibit halls, two large capacity ballrooms, and a beautiful 1,232 seat theatre among its many assets. It also houses 70 fully furnished meeting rooms, and 167,000 square feet of beautifully decorated pre-function spaces.
The MTCC is conveniently connected to Toronto’s Union Station railway and transit station through the Skywalk and is also accessible via the city’s underground PATH system.
MTCC is a Crown Corporation of the Province of Ontario and is proudly governed and led by an executive management team and an independent board of directors comprised of senior private sector business leaders. The mandate of the company is to position the Centre as a world-class destination, while helping to generate economic benefit to the community and at the same time remaining financially self-sufficient.
The Metro Toronto Convention Centre prides itself on its professionalism, responsiveness, and dedication to making every event it hosts memorable for its customers and guests alike.
Reporting to the Director and Associate Director of Banquets and Beverage, you will ensure the best possible service to our guests, and that the quality of food and beverage is maintained to meet client requirements for maximum client/guest satisfaction. The successful candidate will be responsible for the scheduling and supervision of employees and act as a liaison between clients and various departments for function arrangements. This is a full-time salaried position which requires weekend and shift work, with long periods of standing, walking and working extended hours. The company offers future Lieu time to offset hours worked in excess of a normal work week.
- Supervises employees to maximize efficiencies and productivity; coaching, counselling, and progressive discipline as needed.
- Ensures the timely coordination and successful execution of various Food & Beverage events including coffee, meal and beverage service.
- Attends daily catering meetings as needed and makes proper staff adjustments based on changes.
- Plan events based on Banquet Event Order (B.E.O.) details, staffing requirements, collective bargaining agreement (C.B.A.), floor plans etc.
- Organize pertinent administrative details required to execute assigned events i.e., requisitions, postings, meal cards etc.
- Control banquet inventory
- Assist with scheduling and casual booking process.
- Liaise with respective Catering / Event Coordination Manager prior to events, to ensure service expectations are clearly defined, and all details from the Banquet Event Order are being executed.
- Establish and maintain contact with client/ client contact for the duration of the event.
- Ensure all departmental protocols are followed and any required documentation is completed in its entirety (e.g., B.E.O.’s, sign in /out sheets etc).
- Ensure all rooms are safe and secure prior to leaving.
- Be able to adjust to last minute client requests, staff reduction during and after an event.
- Must be effective at improving and considering alternatives to resolve guest and other issues.
- Perform all duties as deemed necessary for the success of the department.
- Conducts briefing with all staff prior to the event to share information, and service expectations
- Effective communication with other supporting departments, prior to event, to ensure all supplies and equipment are procured to make each event a success. These supporting departments that must be communicated with for every function are banquets, stewarding, beverage control, catering, event services and sometimes cash office.
Job Skills & Requirements
- Working experience with knowledge of Food & Beverage industry and industry trends.
- Knowledge in Health and Safety Policies, C.B.A., Food & Beverage service standards, and banquet administration.
- Smart served certified.
- Knowledge of food allergens, dietary restrictions, and common menu ingredients
- Must be detail oriented and have excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and should have the ability to improvise and adapt to last minute changes and requests.
- Skill to manage / coach a diverse group of employees, excellent customer service, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office. Working knowledge of mobile phone applications. Knowledge of Ungerboeck and Adaco is an asset.
- Demonstrate the ability to listen, communicate, motivate staff, go the extra mile and be able to multitask.
- Flexibility to adjust
For a behind the scenes look at how our team helps our customers create successful events, visit our Instagram page:
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application no later than:
June 26, 2023
Please note: The Metro Toronto Convention Centre is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process. During any stage of the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request accommodation.