Department: Advancement and Alumni Relations
Posting Date: May 24, 2023
Salary Range: $77,520 - $96,900
Georgian College’s Advancement and Alumni Relations department creates and maintains strong relationships with a variety of constituents to inspire support and engagement. The department is organized into four integrated units: Major Gifts, Partnerships and Sponsorships; Alumni Engagement, Annual and Legacy Giving; Donor Relations and Operations; and Conference and Event Services.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Advancement Services, the Manager, Conference and Events Services manages the staff and operations of Georgian’s Conference and Event Services department which is responsible for year-round revenue generation for the college through the successful marketing, planning, coordinating and execution of conferences, meetings and special events across all campuses.
This office provides centralized coordinating services that respond to non-academic internal and external customer enquiries to pay for and utilize various college facilities and services. The manger and their staff work closely with all service areas of the college to effectively and efficiently coordinate each event.
- Oversees the daily operations and staff function of the Conference and Event Services department
- Serves as the primary contact for conference and event services, providing overall leadership, expertise and direction in the planning and execution of conference and event services and functions.
- Manages the event request process and the assignment to staff; receives and assesses conference / event service requests / proposals to determine scope and appropriateness of the event / service to the college. Reviews, negotiates and approves conference / events quotes / proposals, contracts and insurance requirements; monitors compliance with internal policies and procedures and external regulations.
- Leads the overall communication and coordination of conference / event requirements with various internal and external service providers (i.e. Facilities Management, Athletics, Accounting, Food Services etc.); develops service provider contracts; determines appropriate service costs and evaluates on an ongoing basis to ensure competitiveness; ensures support service requirements are clear and well-defined; acts as interface between clients and service providers handling any issues that may arise.
- In support of Georgian’s strategic initiatives, and in conjunction with the Office of the President, manages the logistics for a portfolio of institutional meetings and events, ensuring successful delivery of reputation enhancing events among internal and external interested parties.
- Where applicable, negotiates and procures external venue, audio visual / media, entertainment, décor and/or food and beverage vendors in support of offsite institutional meetings or events within Georgian’s seven campus communities.
- Develops and maintains the Conference and Event Services and Convocation budgets.
- Monitors all revenues and expenses on an on-going basis and implements appropriate plans to ensure budget objectives are met.
- Identifies, implements and revises all financial recording procedures in all revenue generating areas of the Conference and Event Services department, including data entry on the College financial systems.
- Prepares and analyses monthly financial revenue / expense reports and disseminates results to the Associate Director, Advancement Services.
- Administers revenue reporting back to service areas and ensure that all accounts are balanced to with service areas revenue reporting
- Develops and implements a comprehensive marketing plan for event facilities; including all of the venues used on campus for conference and special events.
- Actively sources new revenue opportunities by engaging and following up with potential conference and service leads.
- Ensures accurate daily record keeping, provides client market research results for analysis and uses this information to determine future marketing objectives.
- Keeps up-to-date on emerging event trends through activities such as research, professional associations, professional development, and /or publications.
- Active on a regional, provincial and national level at industry trade shows, community event sponsorship and executive positions on industry associations.
- The incumbent is the lead for online marketing campaigns including but not limited to social media – Facebook, Instagram, internal/ external websites and intranet.
- Regularly communicates conference and event services function and services provided to internal groups and interested parties
- Successfully completed a three-year post-secondary diploma / degree in a relevant field of study that includes but is not limited to Conference / Event Management, Hotel, Resort or Hospitality Management, Marketing or Business Administration
- A minimum of five years’ progressive conference / event management and planning experience in a hospitality environment (including sales, marketing and public relations responsibilities)
- Experience leading and managing human and financial resources, developing and maintaining operational plans / budgets
- Experience working non-traditional hours and ability to work in busy, dynamic environment
- Exceptional organization, planning and coordination skills
- Strong budgetary and financial planning, management knowledge and skills
- Strong knowledge of marketing, sales, event and volunteer management
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Strong negotiation skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, projects and events simultaneously with tight deadlines
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with others, network and build partnerships internally and externally
- Strong Computer skills (MS Office)
- Certified Meeting Professional designation is an asset
- Knowledge of and experience using Banquet and Catering Software is an asset
- Ability to travel to other campus locations, as required
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. We invite applications from all qualified candidates and actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to persons of Indigenous ancestry, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, women and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. If you are contacted to participate in the interview, please advise the coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Georgian College has introduced FLEX Work for some positions. This position is currently eligible for Hybrid Work. FLEX Work agreements will be determined between the employee and manager when employment commences and may change in accordance with the FLEX Work guidelines. All employees are required to permanently reside in the province of Ontario.
Applications for this position must be received by 11:59 p.m. June 14, 2023. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.